MAGAZINE AND GUIDE
Work by well-known Vermont painters fills the walls of Visions of Vermont art galleries in Jeffersonville, but it's not just the art that's worth noting.The gallery's buildings - the Victorian House Gallery, and Carriage Barn Gallery - are of historic and architectural interest.
Built in 1878, both buildings are on the National Register of Historic Places and have a long history. The first owner and resident of the buildings was Harry Varnum., a talented engineer who later co-founded the Rock of Ages quarry in Barre, and sho helped create the passage way through Smuggler's Notch.
Current owner Jane Shaw faithfully restored these two structures after buying them in the 1980's, and she and her husband Terry, are just the third owners in 136 years.
Visitors can roam through the 18th century styed rooms as they view collections of art by such noted painters as Karen and Jack Winslow, Alden Bryan, Eric Sloane, and Thomas Curtin.
A couple of surprises await visitors on thr grounds of the property. Thile not on the historic registry, the Sugarhouse Gallery has an interestingpast. In 2003, the Shaws bought the building - originally in pieces that filled 17 boxes - for $5,000. The building had been a mobile display house for a woodstove manufacturer; the Shaws turned the building, so named because it resembles an old Vermont sugarhouse, into a thrid gallery.
Summer Fall 2014
Story & Photo's by Kevin Walsh
Most interesting of all is the Shaw's landscape painter's wagon. Designed and built in 1939 by painter Alden Bryan, who founded and built the Bryan Memorial Gallery just down Main Street, this horse drawn enclosed wagon is nearly all windows and contains a pot-bellied stove for heat. It is a complete mobile painter's studio. Using horses, Bryan who painted en plein air, pulled it around Vermont to paint. Jane Shaw enlisted historic preservation experts to restore the wagon after she bought it in 2001.
The Shaw's older gallery buildings are a part of the larger Jeffersonville historic district, which includes about 79 structures on the National Register of Historic Places. I